As of this writing, Etch is the current “stable” version of Debian.
This is how to install Zabbix!
- Add an unstable deb-src repository to your sources.list. If you have problems later, make sure the following deb-src line is the only deb-src line in your sources.list file.
echo "deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
- Update your package repository
- Install necessary packages for this compiling project
apt-get install libcurl3-dev build-essential automake1.9 libsnmp9-dev libiksemel-dev libopenipmi-dev libpq-dev
- Download source
cd /tmp apt-get source zabbix cd zabbix-1.6.1
- Modify source because etch doesn’t have libcurl4. Modify the control file (line 6) where it says “libcurl4-gnutls-dev” with “libcurl3-dev”
- Compile source. If you’re missing packages, this command will tell you what other packages you need to install before this command works properly.
- Install fresh packages
cd .. ls -l *deb dpkg -i ./<zabbix package of your choice>.deb
All done. Remember, this guide doesn’t tell you how to use Zabbix. I suggest you look in the /usr/share/doc/zabbix* directories that the packages created. Also, read the documentation, forums, wiki, etc.